11.09.2012

Calendula Salve


A while back I was changing Amare's diaper and she was squirming around like usual. She was grabbing at my diaper changing supplies and grabbed the diaper rash cream that I was using at that time. It was open and she was, as most babies do, about to put it in her mouth. I noticed the second before she ingested the diaper rash cream and scooped it away from her. At that time, I started to read the warnings and such and was shocked to read "If swallowed, get medical help or contact a Poison Control center right away." My entire world came to a screeching halt. What the **** am I putting on my baby? Poison? What? Omg! I immediately knew I needed to find a better way. After searching for a bit I came across this extremely easy salve recipe. I had to order the beeswax online because I live hours from any type of store that might carry it. So for all you mamas out there that are looking for a more natural homemade way to treat your babies buns here you go:

**this salve can also be used by all members of the family, even the pets. Salve is great for burns, scrapes, minor cuts, and bug bites**

Ingredients: (organic if possible)
1/4 cup of dried calendula petals
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/8 cup beeswax pastilles
10 drops of lavender essential oil
1 piece of cheesecloth
1 piece of string


Directions:
Combine the dried calendula petals with the 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil and let steep for two weeks..Yes weeks....

Take cheesecloth and put it over a clean container to drain the oil into and leave the petals behind like this:


 Warning! Pour very SLOWLY. You don't want to lose your precious oil by pouring to fast!

 Be sure to squeeze out every last drop of oil goodness! :)
Pour your oil into a saucepan and warm over low heat.
 Add your 1/8 cup of beeswax.
 Let beeswax melt a bit.
 Add 10 drops of lavender essential oil.
Stir to melt beeswax quicker; avoids salve from heating up too much.
 Once all the beeswax is melted pour into your container. I am currently using a small Stonewall Kitchen container that once had Maine Maple Champagne mustard in it. I just love the way it looks, and it is easy to open quickly.

 Leave covers off overnight to cool completely.

Enjoy!


 Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...